Tips to Avoid Scams and Fraud
Below are some tips and recommendations for travelers and property owners to prevent potential scams and frauds when inquirying or making reservations/bookings via Rentalo:
- Avoid wiring funds via Western Union, Moneygram or any other wire service – these are usually used by scammers.
RENTALO.COM WILL NEVER ASK TRAVELERS TO WIRE MONEY OR SEND CASHIERS CHECKS WHEN MAKING A RESERVATION
- Fake Cashier Checks and Money Orders are commonly used by scammers - beware of them, as banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- Never give out your personal or business financial information (bank account number, social security number, etc) when inquiring or making a reservation.
- When possible, deal locally with folks you can meet in person.
- If you suspect that a property ad or a traveler using rentalo.com may be part of a scam, please contact us as soon as possible. Be sure to include the URL (or Rentalo ID number), or Inquiry Reference Number in your message.
- Before sending any form of payment, ask for business references, check online reviews, ask for copies of appropriate business lisense(s), BBB status, local chamber of commerce contact information, and any other documentation that may serve to verify the legitimacy of the person or business you are deailing with. Then, take the time to verify these documents.
- Please avoid contacting owners directly or outside of Rentalo.com. If you see an email address or a phone number on a photo or in the description of any listing, please DO NOT use it. Instead report it to us as this is a violation of our listing guidelines.
Rentalo.com highly recommends for property owners to accept payments via credit card whenever posible. is a reliable and cost effective way to receive payments via credit cards and bank transfers. Click here to learn more
- Register your booking using Rentalo "Worry-Free Lodging Guarantee".
- Protect all your trip expenses purchasing Vacation Rental Protection.
- Read our Read our Legal Disclaimer
Who else should I notify about scam or scam attempts?
- FTC toll free hotline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- File an online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
- Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov/)
- File a police report with your local police department.