Converted to a hotel in the late 1950s, the hotel is on the former site of the ancient school of ceramic masters and retains numerous pieces of antique ceramics and many of the original building's features. On the top-floor terrace, which is equipped with deckchairs and umbrellas, guests can take in panoramic views of Monte Tauro and the Greek Theatre on one side and the Mediterranean Sea and Mount Etna on the other. Before sampling traditional Italian fare in the restaurant guests can enjoy a cocktail from the bar in the lounge. The concierge can assist with airport transfers, restaurant bookings and guided tours. There are a limited number of parking spaces available (surcharge applies) on site. From the back door of the hotel guests can enjoy direct access to the gently sloping streets of the famous Corso Umberto, which is lined with cafes, restaurants and shops. Catania - Fontanarossa Airport is 60 kilometres away, with an approximate driving time of 30 minutes.
Standard twin/double room: One double bed or two twin beds. Etna or Greek Theatre View. Mediterranean-style decor with whitewashed walls, ceramic tiled floors, marble and wood furnishings and colourful blue fabrics. Air conditioning, satellite television and telephone. Tiled bathroom with double sinks, hair dryer, bidet and shower.
The best way to get from the airport to the hotel is by taxi. The fare should cost approximately 75 EUR. Buses are also available from the airport. Bus tickets must be bought at a booth just outside the terminal building. Tickets must be validated in machines inside the bus, which put a time-and-date stamp on the ticket. The nearest train station to the hotel is Taormina Giardin, 2.5 kilometres from the hotel. The train station is served by taxis. Alternatively, the hotel can arrange airport transfers if contacted in advance. The hotel is situated in the city centre, which can be comfortably explored on foot. Local buses run to local seaside destinations and nearby towns.
Driving directions: From the airport, follow directions for Messina on the A18 road. Exit at Taormina and follow directions for downtown.
- Concierge desk Medical assistance available
- Parking (surcharge) Room service (limited hours)
- Airport transportation (fees apply) Safe-deposit box
- Television in lobby Air-conditioned public areas
- Coffee in lobby Restaurant(s)
- Dry cleaning service Elevator/lift
Room Amenities: , , • Climate control • Extra towels/bedding • Cable/satellite TV • Bidet • Window opens
- Corso Umberto (pedestrianised area) - outside the hotel | - Ciampoli Palace - 80 metres | - Old Abbey - 150 metres | - Santa Stefano Palace - 200 metres | - Greek Theatre - 200 metres | - Beaches - 250 metres | - Castle - 250 metres | - Piazza Duomo - 250 metres | - Giardini Naxos (gardens) - 5 kilometres (3 miles) | - Alcantara Gorges - 20 kilometres (12.5 miles) | - Mount Etna - 28 kilometres (17.5 miles) |
Taormina Hotels - Hotel Vello d'Oro